She’s family and you’re here to support her as she makes her choice. notbornyet is a space for women, families, partners and clinicians to explore every option available for unexpected or crisis pregnancies. Our goal is to ensure pregnant women know where to access the real information and support they need to make an informed decision. As a member of her family, you are one of her main support lines.
Whether your pregnant loved one is a daughter, sister, cousin, granddaughter or niece, you are in a privileged position. She has trusted you with her news because she knows you’re someone who will be there for her. She may not have reached her decision but whatever the circumstances, you can help her access every avenue of support available to her.
Did you know that 70 per cent of women who have had an abortion say they would have kept their baby if one significant person in their life offered meaningful support?
You could be that one person.
What she really needs right now
She’s pregnant and with your help she can be on a journey to making an informed decision that is right for her in the long term. It may seem simple, but what you can offer her is your unconditional love. Make one part of her decision process constant and predictable by surrounding her with kindness and understanding.
Ways you can journey with her
There are many ways to support your pregnant family member. You can give her meaningful support by:
- Offering to attend appointments with her
- Helping her access support services, to find a great GP and decide her preferred antenatal care
- Helping her financially with setting up the nursery, pram, car seat and clothing
- Arming her with information (her baby size according to fruit and vegetables, What to Expect When You’re Expecting through to your own or other women’s experiences of pregnancy, labour and motherhood)
- Connecting her with great information tools like the Baby Center website or Brave Foundation and be available to her as someone she can share with.
As her trusted family member, you want to provide your pregnant family member has everything she needs. Her choice to keep or abort her child will change her life, and yours. Hopefully, she chooses to keep the child and if this is the case, we encourage you to celebrate the arrival of her entry into motherhood and the life of the baby. If she chooses to have an abortion, we have a real information you can share with her, so she knows all the facts before she follows through on her decision.
To learn more, visit www.notbornyet.com/real-information